Thursday, November 1, 2007

Allô

Allô!!!!!!!!!!!


Assalamu Alaikum to all. Or should I say

Allô!

Allô is the French word for Hello. It is one of my favorite words on paper. It's a very peppy word for Hello. It even comes with its own little hat! What more could you ask for in a word? (Not making fun of the French Language as I took French for 12+ years).

I also like
Allô because it reminds of Alloo which are potatoes in Urdu. And from there Alloo remind me of Salou Balou Eatin' Alloo (Salou=my sister Saliha, Balou=teddy bear, Eatin'=Chowing Down, Alloo-Potatoes). A little saying we made up when we were young - not exactly sure where it came from - seems like a community effort (Saliha?).

Whenever I email myself - (which is a lot) - I use the subject line
Allô to myself - It brightens up my day :)

A small word - but very lively!

-Rabea

1 comment:

sarah said...

hmm yeah i feel like it was a community effort for sure. i believe it started initially with just salou balou, b/c i was the youngest and i was like a little teddy bear i guess ;). then people just extended it one day to salou balou eatin' alou. altho i do remember one day (which may be the first time i was called the extended version) that i was at my uncle's house in boston visiting and i was eating alou, and my cousin was like "salou balou...eatin alou!" haha so maybe it started there and just stuck from then on. also, i have a friend named seem and she would be seema beema eatin' keem and i was salou balou eatin' alou, so together we were alou keema! hahaha. ahh, good times =).