Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Conscience anyone?

Salams,

I guess I am a little irritated about the conversation surrounding Muzzammil Hassan. In my present state of mind I have already had his trial in my mind, me - the judge, jury, and executioner. And he is guilty. Guilty of what? I can't claim to know the particulars of the crime and how he did what, and even if he actually committed the murder. But he is guilty. He is the representation to me of what has gone way wrong in the Muslim community. From what I have read about him, he was on his third marriage, an abusive personality, a controlling personality, and on top of that had a respected place in Muslim community as the head of the Muslim channel Bridges TV. How awful.

Well sisters, it's a man's world. If women were out doing one-tenth of what the Muslim men are doing out there, we would have been tried by now, and we would be guilty, and no one would give you a second look. Men or women of the Muslim community.

So I may be reacting, or I may be over reacting, but today I am taking a stance. I am not going to support leaders of our community anymore without extensive knowledge about their character and behavior especially with their own families. It absolutely horrifies me the trust we put in our Muslim leaders, without questioning their character. Now I know you should not doubt your Muslim brothers and sisters, and you know the whole gamut. This is not doubt. This is my right to know. It is my right to know if a scholar has good character or not. I do not want to read anymore about anyones' credentials. I want to know about something a lot more abstract, something I will probably never know, but I reserve the right to judge someone as I see fit.

Rabea

No comments: