Wednesday, March 18, 2009


Salams,
a continuation of a discussion from a discussion group...

Some things about hijab that I feel or have felt:

Think about some of these things when you see Hijabi women, they may have felt similar things...

1-Isolationist,it can isolate Muslim women from society
2- Non-inclusionist - so to be part of a non-muslim society it doesn't seem right to wear something so opposite to the society we live in.
To qualify this statement, I think at some level it is offensive to be wearing clothing so different from the rest of society.
I always find it offensive when I go to Muslim countries and Americans are still wearing their shorts and t-shirts and speaking English loudly so the
whole neighborhood can hear.
3- An identity - I think hijab gives me an identity, makes me different from most of society. Makes me feel proud of myself for doing something that
I believe in, that is my religious duty from God.
4- Unfair in terms of the difference between Muslim men's behavior in public and a hijabi women's behavior in public. Many Muslim men who have beards, wear
religious garb, etc, in public they still don't stand out as much as Muslim women. Their interactions oftentimes with the opposite sex are very open
and some boundaries to me seem to be crossed. On the other hand, it seems that hijabis are expected to act extra careful and it seems there is a close eye
on their behavior and interaction with the opposite sex.
5- Annoying - it's very difficult to wear hijab sometimes, you need a lot of practice and it can consume a lot of your time in the morning just
putting it on.
6 - an outfit completer - so you have to be very careful with hijab colors, styles, shapes when completing your outfit, but if done right it is the perfect
outfit completer
7- Privacy - wearing hijab helps me keep some added privacy. I think people are weary of approaching hijabis and interfering in their business,
I like this aspect of hijab...
8- Respect - growing up in the south one would expect that I received a lot of denegrating looks, but rather people were rather respectful,
probably b/c I lived in a southern city that was more educated then the boondocks.
9- niqab - too isolationist - to qualify this, I think I would isolate myself too much if I wore niqab, it would
be easy to just turn inwards, others would isolate you as well b/c they would not see you as approachable
10- Many girls do not know why they are wearing hijab, it may be a rebellion thing or it may be because they feel they have to to be a good Muslim, peer pressure, parental pressure something to stick out,
11-tiring to explain why you wear it, sometimes you just want to say b/c I want to, seems much harder to explain to some Muslims than non-Muslims
12- Wearing hijab is a natural barrier from fitna in society. You generally end up staying away from haram activities b/c of your religious garb
13- This barrier can be weakened by your own behavior. It all comes down to intention.

No comments: